Other applicable terms
Information about us
Varsity Careers Hub is a website and database operated by Oxford Students (we).
Changes to these terms
Please check this page from time to time to take notice of any changes we make, as they are binding on you.
Changes to our App
We may update our site from time to time, and may change the content at any time. However, please note that any of the content on our site may be out of date at any given time, and we are under no obligation to update it.
We do not guarantee that our site, or any content on it, will be free from errors or omissions.
Our site will display content on behalf of potential employers. We are not responsible for any content displayed on behalf of employers on our site.
Accessing our site
Our site is made available free of charge for jobseekers.
We do not guarantee that our site, or any content on it, will always be available or be uninterrupted. Access to our site is permitted on a temporary basis. We may suspend, withdraw, discontinue or change all or any part of our site without notice. We will not be liable to you if for any reason our site is unavailable at any time or for any period.
You are responsible for making all arrangements necessary for you to have access to our site.
Your account and password
If you choose, or you are provided with a password or any other piece of information as part of our security procedures, you must treat such information as confidential. You must not disclose it to any third party.
If you know or suspect that anyone other than you knows your user identification code or password, you must promptly notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Intellectual property rights
We are the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in our site, and in the material published on it. Those works are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. All such rights are reserved.
Our status (and that of any identified contributors) as the authors of content on our site must always be acknowledged.
You must not use any part of the content on our site for commercial purposes without obtaining a licence to do so from us.
No reliance on information
The content on our site is provided for general information only. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist
advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content on our site.
Although we make reasonable efforts to update the information on our site, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content on our site is accurate, complete or up-to-date.
Limitation of our liability
To the extent permitted by law, we exclude all conditions, warranties, representations or other terms which may apply to our site or any content on it, whether express or implied. We will not be liable to any user for any loss or damage, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, even if foreseeable, arising under or in connection with:
- use of, or inability to use, our site; or
- use of or reliance on any content displayed on our
Please note that we only provide our site for domestic and private use. We have no liability to you for any loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption, or loss of business opportunity.
We will not be liable for any loss or damage caused by any act or event beyond our reasonable control, including failure of public or private telecommunications networks. We assume no responsibility for the content of websites linked on our site. Such links should not be interpreted as endorsement by us of those linked websites. We will not be liable for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them.
Uploading content to our site
Whenever you make use of a feature that allows you to upload content to our site, or to make contact with other users of our site, you must comply with the content standards set out in the next paragraph (Acceptable Use Policy)
You warrant that any such contribution does comply with those standards, and you will be liable to us and indemnify us for any breach of that warranty. This means you will be responsible for any loss or damage we suffer as a result of your breach of warranty.
Any content you upload to our Platform will be considered non-confidential and non- proprietary. You retain all of your ownership rights in your content, but you are required to grant us and other users of the Platform a limited licence to use, store and copy that content and to distribute and make it available to third parties. The rights you license to us are described in the paragraph below (Rights you licence).
We also have the right to disclose your identity to any third party who is claiming that any content posted or uploaded by you to our Platform constitutes a violation of their intellectual property rights, or of their right to privacy.
We will not be responsible, or liable to any third party, for the content or accuracy of any content posted by you or any other user of our Platform.
We have the right to remove any posting you make on our Platform if, in our opinion, your post does not comply with the content standards set out in the next paragraph (Acceptable Use Policy).
The views expressed by other users on our Platform do not represent our views or values.
You are solely responsible for securing and backing up your content.
Acceptable Use Policy
You may use our Platform only for lawful purposes. You may not use our App:
- in any way that breaches any applicable local, national or international law or regulation;
- in any way that is unlawful or fraudulent, or has any unlawful or fraudulent purpose or effect;
- for the purpose of harming or attempting to harm minors in any way;
- to send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use or re-use any material which does not comply with these terms and our content standards as set out below;
- to transmit, or procure the sending of, any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising or promotional material or any other form of similar solicitation (spam); or
- to knowingly transmit any data, send or upload any material that contains viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time-bombs, keystroke loggers, spyware, adware or any other harmful programs or similar computer code designed to adversely affect the operation of any computer software or
- You also agree not to access without authority, interfere with, damage or disrupt:
- any part of our App;
- any equipment or network on which our Platform or the data relating is stored;
- any software used in the provision of our App; or
- any equipment or network or software owned or used by any third
We may from time to time provide interactive services on our App, including, without limitation:
- chat rooms;
- bulletin boards;
- Talent Spotting, which is where employers will directly message you with opportunities based on the information you have provided in your profile (interactive services).
Where we do provide any interactive service, we will provide clear information to you about the kind of service offered, if it is moderated and what form of moderation is used (including whether it is human or technical).
We are under no obligation to oversee, monitor or moderate any interactive service we provide on our App, and we expressly exclude our liability for any loss or damage arising from the use of any interactive service by a user in contravention of our content standards, whether the service is moderated or not.
The use of any of our interactive services by a minor is subject to the consent of their parent or guardian. We advise parents who permit their children to use an interactive service that it is important that they communicate with their children about their safety online, as moderation is not fool proof. Minors who are using any interactive service should be made aware of the potential risks to them.
Where we do moderate an interactive service, we will normally provide you with a means of contacting the moderator, should a concern or difficulty arise.
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our Platform (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit and the letter of the following standards. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
- be accurate (where they state facts);
- be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and
- comply with applicable law in England and in any country from which they are posted.
- Contributions must not:
- contain any material which is defamatory of any person;
- contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory;
- promote sexually explicit material;
- promote violence;
- promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age;
- infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person;
- be likely to deceive any person;
- be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence;
- promote any illegal activity;
- be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety;
- be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person;
- be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person;
- give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; and
- advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer
Rights you licence
When you upload or post content to our App, you are granting us a non-exclusive, worldwide, transferable and sub licensable right to use, copy, modify, distribute, publish, and process, information and content that you provide through our App, without any further consent, notice and/or compensation to you or others.
You can end this license for specific content by deleting such content from the Platform or generally by closing your account, except (a) to the extent you shared it with others as part of the Platform and they copied or stored it and (b) for the reasonable time it takes to remove the it from backup and other systems.
We do not guarantee that our Platform will be secure or free from bugs or viruses.
You are responsible for configuring your information technology and Platform in order to access our Platform.
You must not misuse our Platform by knowingly introducing contains viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time-bombs, keystroke loggers, spyware, adware or any other harmful programs or similar computer code designed to adversely affect the operation of any computer software or hardware. You must not attempt to gain unauthorised access to our App, the server on which our Platform is stored or any server, computer or database connected to our Platform. By breaching this provision, you would commit a criminal offence under the Computer Misuse Act 1990. We will report any such breach to the relevant law enforcement authorities and we will co-operate with those authorities by
disclosing your identity to them. In the event of such a breach, your right to use our Platform will cease immediately.
Third party links and resources in our App
Where our Platform contains links to other sites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your information only.
We have no control over the contents of those apps or resources.